Handwriting and Homework Planning Group
Age: Year 4 – Year 6 Students
We will help your child finish their homework! This group is designed to help your child set specific goals and focus on independent tasks in a small group environment. The children are encouraged to plan and prioritise their homework tasks and are supported to manage their time and finish set tasks. The group also facilitates the development of age-appropriate organised writing skills such as planning, sequencing and completion of extended writing tasks. In order to complete their homework independently, the group also assists children to develop strategies to remain focused and complete set tasks. Fine motor and pencil control activities are also incorporated before and after homework tasks.
The main underlying capacity areas addressed in this 10-week program include:
- Pencil grasp and pencil control
- Planning and organising weekly homework tasks using a checklist and/or planner
- Prioritising homework activities
- Attention and focus
- Handwriting legibility
- Organised writing
Specific goals your child will be working toward and achieving by the end of one school term include being able to:
- Use a cognitive strategy to plan and organise homework tasks for the duration of the group.
- Complete written homework in a small group setting within the allocated timeframe of 50 minutes.
- Write legible paragraphs including consistent spacing, alignment of letters on the line, correct letter formation and letter size.
- Use strategies to focus and attend to own work independently.
- To develop pencil control skills in order to write fluently
- To independently review and edit own work
School and Pre-School Based Intervention
Qualia work with children in their everyday environments to enhance handwriting, creative writing, fine motor skills, coordination and gross motor skills, organisation, attention and concentration.
Home Based Intervention
Qualia offers occupational therapy sessions at your home, to enhance your child’s school based skills together with every day skills such as dressing, shoelaces and use of a knife and fork.
Clinic Based Intervention
Qualia work with infants, young children and teenagers in developing age appropriate skills and independence in the clinic located at 661 Darling Street, Rozelle.