Handwriting and Planning Program
Age: Kindergarten to Year 3 Students
The aim of the Homework Club Program is to support your child to complete their homework tasks in a timely manner. The group will help your child to devise a checklist of tasks and work through set tasks appropriately. Support is provided for homework tasks and each child is encouraged to work on an individual goal, for example, to keep letters the same size, to form letters correctly or to finish a spelling list in 10 minutes. Your child will be supported to implement strategies to help them focus and attend to their own tasks.
The group also incorporates movement breaks, fine motor development activities and pencil control tasks to keep you child engaged and having fun whilst doing their homework.
The main underlying capacities and areas addressed in this 10-week program include:
- Task completion
- Attending to set tasks
- Independent time management
- Pencil control and writing legibility
- Fine motor skills
- Desk posture
- To maintain appropriate focus on tasks until completed.
- To devise a checklist of tasks and manage time appropriately to complete tasks within the time allocated.
- To work on individualised goals to complete set homework tasks.
- To develop pencil control skills to assist with writing fluency.
- To demonstrate editing skills, by reading over own work and making corrections.
School and Pre-School Based Intervention
Qualia work with children in their everyday environments to enhance handwriting, creative writing, fine motor skills, coordination and gross motor skills, organisation, attention and concentration.
Home Based Intervention
Qualia offers occupational therapy sessions at your home, to enhance your child’s school based skills together with every day skills such as dressing, shoelaces and use of a knife and fork.
Clinic Based Intervention
Qualia work with infants, young children and teenagers in developing age appropriate skills and independence in the clinic located at 661 Darling Street, Rozelle.