Pre-Writing and Writing Preparation Program
Age: Pre-School Aged and Kindergarten
The aim of the Fantastic Fingers Program is to support early fine motor skills so that children are given the best start to hold and control the pencil, writing letters and writing in the classroom.
There are a number of fine motor activities available to improve children’s fine motor skills in preparation for writing and drawing at school. Certain fine motor activities are more suited to developing essential skills for school tasks.
The main underlying capacity areas addressed in this 10-week program include:
- Upper limb strength and stability
- Wrist control and strength
- Tactile awareness
- Isolated finger movement
- Fine motor coordination and control
Specific goals your child will be working toward achieving by the end of one school term include being able to:
- Write their name with appropriate pencil grasp and control
- Cut out a shape on a line with adequate scissor control and coordination
- Stay seated comfortably and functionally at a desk for table top tasks
- Be able for form all prewriting patterns with adequate control of letter formation
Kindergarten students will also be able to:
- Write all letters of the alphabet with adequate formation and control
School and Pre-School Based Intervention
Qualia work with children in their everyday environments to enhance handwriting, creative writing, fine motor skills, coordination and gross motor skills, organisation, attention and concentration.
Home Based Intervention
Qualia offers occupational therapy sessions at your home, to enhance your child’s school based skills together with every day skills such as dressing, shoelaces and use of a knife and fork.
Clinic Based Intervention
Qualia work with infants, young children and teenagers in developing age appropriate skills and independence in the clinic located at 661 Darling Street, Rozelle.