Hair Washing, Brushing and Styling
Washing, brushing and styling one’s hair can be an incredibly tactile experience. These activities are a fundamental part of a child’s daily routine and can be really tricky for children who are more sensitive.
Here is a list of our favourite tools for hair washing, brushing and styling:
- Wet brush: Comes in mini or large brush sizes. This brush is best for children who have lots of knots and tangles and want a pain-free experience.
- Tangle teezer: Comes in various colours and sizes. This brush can be held in the palm of the hand and is great for children who want to brush their own hair. Assists in minimising tugging, pulling and breakage.
- Scrunchie no slip hair ties with no metal parts. These hair ties are designed to rest comfortably in the hair and have a firm hold.
- Thick or thin loose fabric covered ‘scrunchies’ with no metal parts. These soft ties are are forgiving and come in all different colours, perfect for school days and holidays.
- Elastic headbands are best for those children wanting a tight and firm hold around the head. These bands can also assist in keeping the frizzy or loose hairs back from the face.
- Shampoo Shield: (can be purchased from your local chemist). The shield can protect your child’s eyes from shampoo and water and can assist in making this task a fun and positive experience.
- Shampoo Rinse Cup: This cup has a soft rubber panel, which rests against the child’s forehead and shields the eyes from soap and water. This cup is best for children who do not like washing their hair in the shower.
- Johnson’s Kids Conditioning Shampoo 2-in-1 Blueberry Bash
- Johnson’s Kids No More Tangles Spray Strawberry Sensation Hair de-tangler (this is pink and smells nice!)
- Suave Kids Apple Detangler Spray (Hypoallergenic, tear-free and alocohol-free)
If your child has difficulty with hair washing, brushing and styling or any other self-care tasks, feel free to give us a call for some more tips and tricks!